- It All Begins with You– please read more on this topic in a recent blog post It Starts with You but to completely prepare you for what’s to come I’ll say this… You will only find mirrors of yourself when you begin to date because of the laws of attraction (like attracts like). Until you do some serious work on yourself through self-discovery will you find what you are looking for in a partner for a long term relationship.
- Set Healthy Boundaries– You need to do this both for yourself and with others because it establishes trust and helps you manage your expectations (see #6). For example, I set my cell phone to “do not disturb” from 9 pm until 9 am on weekdays. That way if I receive a text or call late, I am not answering inauthentic calls/texts and upholding my self-respect while respecting others work life, family life, and personal interests, etc. If you are dating someone with a 9-5 job, you may not be able to contact them often during that time and the same goes for your work life as a priority! Please read more in depth in a recent blog post, How Online Dating Helps Set Healthy Boundaries on this very topic!
- Determine Your Core Values– For those of you seeking a LTR, this is critical to find success before and during a relationship! Your core values are the non-negotiable traits you have that you seek in another person. My core values include a. family first b. active lifestyle c. personal growth d. spirituality If I met someone I liked and they didn’t share any of these core values, neither one of us would be very happy long term in our relationship. Do you agree?
- Set Your Intentions BEFORE you begin to date– Why are you beginning to date at all? Are you looking for fun? for a long term relationship(LTR)? for friends, and maybe more? If you establish your intentions early on, you won’t be wasting your time or others during your journey. You will be able to say yes or no to invitations much easier if you know exactly what your intentions are! Imagine someone invites you to go dancing at a club on a first date but you are looking for a LTR. Can you have quality conversation with that person in a loud and noisy club? Probably not. However, if you’re only looking for fun and to date casually, a night out dancing at a club may be a great place to meet up!
- Start Slow with coffee dates, happy hours, or group events to meet people because these activities will ease you into enjoying the experience of dating!
- Manage Expectations– Learn how to manage your expectations for yourself and others because you will undoubtedly be let down or disappointed by another in the process of dating! Managing your own expectations will help lighten the highs and lows of modern dating.
- Take a time out– If you are becoming overwhelmed in the dating journey, then our expert guest Sharon Smith suggests that you take a break and reset your intention, core values, and embrace self-love. To hear more about her advice as a date coach, click here now to listen to the whole podcast episode!
- Communication is the key to boundaries and expectations, As George Bernard Shaw said, “The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place”. We discuss communication about boundaries and expectations a lot on the podcast because we believe that knowing more about where you are and your partner are is key to living a happy and healthy relationship!
- come to our live event December 6th at 6:30pm in Denver to equip yourself with the tools necessary to survive the “scene”! Mingling, drinks, and light snacks provided by Lift Colorado Counseling and Empowered Kitchen!Gain the Confidence and Skills you need to Authentically Date in Denver with a one of a kind live event hosted by local Love and Dating Coach, Jessica Smith, and Dave Glaser, the Host of The Believe Be Real Be Bold Podcast for Authentic Dating.Join us for a mingling cocktail hour, question and answer session, and panel of local experts built to help you navigate the muddy waters of the Denver dating scene! By the end of the night, you will have the tools you need to set healthy boundaries, manage expectations, and authentically date in Denver!You may puchase yout tickets directly through our website at https://believeberealbebold.com/shop/
Your facilitator and host Dave Glaser, owner of Fit Life Champions, specializes in online personal training for busy adults that want to improve mental health, decrease stress, boost energy and want to become stronger physically, mentally, and emotionally.